AC Repair Pinellas County: Beware of Bait & Switch ScamsWhen you’re living in a hot place like the Tampa Bay Area and your AC is down or broken, you can get pretty desperate. Unfortunately, this desperation often leads property owners to fall victim to bait and switch scams with AC repair companies. They end up paying hundreds more than they actually need to, and the repairs take hours longer than they really should. Want to ensure that you don’t fall victim to scams on your next AC repair, Pinellas county citizens? Follow these tips:
- Check the BBB. Always check the Better Business Bureau when there’s a repair company you’re considering. First, you’ll want to see that they’re accredited by the BBB, which means they’re a legitimate, trustworthy company, and then you’ll want to look at any reviews and complaints that have been filed. There may even be a rating (on a scale from A to F) that you can consider.
- Don’t always believe the ads and promotions. When it comes to AC repair, Largo is one of the most popular cities for it. With our hot, humid weather, it’s the perfect climate to cause AC problems and cooling issues. That’s why you’ll find hundreds of AC and HVAC repair companies out there – all vying for your business and your money. Unfortunately, this makes the market very competitive, and companies will do just about anything to get your attention, usually by making sweeping claims and offering huge promotions that don’t really exist. Do yourself a favor and take these ads and promos with a grain of salt. More than likely, they’re just trying to get you to give them a call so they can upsell you on other services and rack up your repair costs where they shouldn’t.
- Learn more about the company. Take time to learn more about the company you’re considering. Look into their licensing, find out how many years they’ve been in business, and evaluate their web presence. Do they look professional and legitimate? Do they have all the necessary licenses and certifications in place? Do they have a lot of experience in their industry? These can all indicate a great choice for your repairs.
- Ask for referrals. If you’re not having any luck on your own, ask your friends, family, and colleagues for AC repair recommendations. If you live in Florida, chances are good that someone in your circle has needed AC help at least once, and they probably know one or two companies you can call. They may even be able to help you steer clear of a bad provider as well. Additionally, once you find a repair company you like, you can always ask them for information about referrals. See if they can give you contact details for past clients who can vouch for their services, and ask if they can point you to any testimonials or reviews. These can often be very telling.
- Ask for a quote up front. You never want to be surprised by that final bill, so once your technician has evaluated your AC problems, make sure he or she gives you a quote and price estimate in writing. This should include any repairs that are needed, the cost of parts and labor, and, of course, the total fee you’ll be expected to pay. If you don’t like the number, speak up then and see what your technician can do. If one company can’t work with your budget, call in a second opinion to see if you can get a better offer.
Subscribe to Air Zero's Blog